I was at my nieces birthday on the weekend where her Godfather had made an awesome cake, which he revealed was a slow cooker cake recipe. The concept of a slow cooked cake had never occurred to me before, so straight away I was intrigued.
I am often in the situation where my house is a mess, the kitchen is atrocious, and I’ll think, hmmm, I should bake a cake! Today was one of those days. Problem is, I often make the cake, pop it in the oven and then forget about it! I cannot tell you how many cakes I have burnt in my time. So today I thought I’d try slow cooker cake because surely I couldn’t burn that, right?
I looked through a few recipes and found this one, but decided it needed changing to suit my ingredients I had on hand (I had no butter, and it had 2 cups of sugar in it! Yuk!) So here is my recipe…
Slow Cooker Cake Recipe
- 1,1/2 cups raw sugar (I still found this incredibly sweet, so could easily be reduced to 1 cup in my opinion, but if you are used to sweet cakes then 1 1/2 cups will be fine)
- 1 3/4 cups (220g) plain flour (can use gluten free flour)
- 3/4 cup (60g) cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bicarb soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (250ml) milk (can use any milk you prefer)
- 1/2 cup Greek yoghurt (this was to replace the butter)
- 1 cup (250ml) boiling water
In a bowl combine all the dry ingredients. Whisk in eggs, milk and yoghurt, and slowly add the boiling water.
Pour the mixture into the slow cooker. Cook on ‘low’ for 3 hours, or ‘high’ for 1 hour. Once the cake has come away from the sides of the pan and springs back when touched, it is cooked. Switch it off and let it rest for a further 30mins. Serve with cream or ice cream. Enjoy!
note: The original recipe said to coat the pan with oil spray but I didn’t bother with this and I had no problem with it getting stuck